Cath News report: Geoffrey Robertson's new book, The Case of the Pope: Vatican Accountability for Human Rights Abuse, contains many dramatic and false claims, says Bishop Julian Porteous, auxiliary Bishop of Sydney and Vicar General.
"For a lawyer of some standing the claims in his book exhibit many errors," he told The Catholic Weekly. "Robertson is known for his polemical style, but polemics cannot excuse inaccuracy in facts.
"Robertson's assertion that the Church claims a right to deal with offenders internally without reporting them to the police is a distortion of reality.
"The Church deals with these crimes using its own laws and procedures, but it does not claim an exclusive jurisdiction. The Church's purpose in its internal processes is to protect the community by removing the priest from his ministry.
"The State's purpose is to protect the community by imposing a prison sentence.
"From the Church's perspective both systems of law work together for the good of the community.
"Does the Church, however, protect clerics, as Robertson argues? Tragically this may have happened in individual cases in the past, but for many years the Church in countries like Australia and the US has encouraged victims of clerical abuse to go to the civil authorities for police investigation and civil court action," Bishop Porteous said.
- Pope Francis tells Augustinians "Prayer and penance do not cease to be the cornerstones on which Christian witness is based..." Full Text
- Litany to the Holy Name of Mary and Powerful Prayers to Share honoring Mary with Indulgences
- Canadian Bishops Issue Catholic Voting Guide saying "The principles of respect for life from conception to natural death and of the dignity of the human person should influence how Christians..."
- Wow 1 Million at Mass with Pope Francis who says “As believers, we must stretch out our hands, as Jesus does with us”. Full Text Homily + Video
- #BreakingNews Massive Pro-Life March in Northern Ireland with 20,000 from all Religions defending Unborn Babies - Video
- Pope Francis says "...God's presence in the midst of his poor..." at "City of Friendship" built on Dumpsters with housing for 25,000 people Founded by his former Student
- #BreakingNews Crowds of Children and Students form Human Chain in Hong Kong in ongoing Protests - Watch Video
- Crowd of Nuns Full of Joy to meet Pope Francis who says with these little acts of love that “God saves the world” in Madagascar
- Quote to SHARE by St. Augustine “If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.”
- BE KIND and DONATE Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- 1st Rosary Bowl in the Nation's Capital with 4 Bishops, many Priests, Religious Sisters and hundreds of Laity including Youth -
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text