Church officials in Madhya Pradesh state have set up a hotline for people to report incidents of sectarian violence ahead of a court verdict on a controversial religious site.
“People will just have to call the helpline and tell us what is going on,” said Father Anand Muttungal, who is in charge of the service. “We will in turn inform the police about the happenings.”
The Allahabad High Court in neighboring Uttar Pradesh state was to pronounce its verdict on Sept. 24 on the ownership of a plot of land in the state’s Ayodhya town, where a disputed 16th-century mosque stood.
The Supreme Court yesterday deferred the judgment by one week.
Hindu zealots demolished the mosque in December 1992, claiming that Muslim ruler Babur had demolished a Hindu temple there in order to build the mosque. The demolition sparked off nation-wide Hindu-Muslim riots. Protracted legal battles continued over the ownership of the land.
As part of security arrangements, the federal government banned sending mass text and multimedia messages in the country. In the past some groups have used such means to mobilize crowds for riots.
Madhya Pradesh, which has several areas that are prone to sectarian violence, has stepped up security, including night-time police patrolling.
State Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan also issued special instructions to his officials and ministers to maintain “law and order at all costs.”
Father Muttungal along with leaders of other religious and secular organizations also met Chauhan to discuss the matter.
- Pope Francis tells Augustinians "Prayer and penance do not cease to be the cornerstones on which Christian witness is based..." Full Text
- Litany to the Holy Name of Mary and Powerful Prayers to Share honoring Mary with Indulgences
- Canadian Bishops Issue Catholic Voting Guide saying "The principles of respect for life from conception to natural death and of the dignity of the human person should influence how Christians..."
- Wow 1 Million at Mass with Pope Francis who says “As believers, we must stretch out our hands, as Jesus does with us”. Full Text Homily + Video
- #BreakingNews Massive Pro-Life March in Northern Ireland with 20,000 from all Religions defending Unborn Babies - Video
- Pope Francis says "...God's presence in the midst of his poor..." at "City of Friendship" built on Dumpsters with housing for 25,000 people Founded by his former Student
- #BreakingNews Crowds of Children and Students form Human Chain in Hong Kong in ongoing Protests - Watch Video
- Crowd of Nuns Full of Joy to meet Pope Francis who says with these little acts of love that “God saves the world” in Madagascar
- Quote to SHARE by St. Augustine “If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.”
- BE KIND and DONATE Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- 1st Rosary Bowl in the Nation's Capital with 4 Bishops, many Priests, Religious Sisters and hundreds of Laity including Youth -
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text