ASIA NEWS REPORT;Toll from unrest rises to 20 dead. Another protester killed in Logar province (eastern Turkey). Afghan workers at Bagram base: U.S. military burned the sacred books of ignoring our pleas.
Kabul (AsiaNews) - The toll from five-days of protests over the burning of
the Koran has risen to 20 dead and hundreds injured. Today thousands of
demonstrators surrounded the UN complex in Kunduz (Northern Afghanistan) trying
to storm the building guarded by police and army. In Mehterlam, capital of the
eastern province of Logar, a crowd of hundreds of people stormed the offices of
the governor. In the clashes, police killed a protester.
experts say the episode is putting into serious question the image of the U.S.
Army and ten years of struggle against Islamic extremism.
In these days
the authorities have collected the testimonies of workers employed in the
military base in Bagram to shed light on the incident. From the accounts it
emerges that the U.S. soldiers burned copies of the Koran while ignoring the
pleas of Muslim workers.
Jamil Sayed, an Afghan of 22 years, said that
last February 20 he was working with other Afghan colleagues in one of the waste
disposal areas on the base, when three soldiers arrived on the site aboard a
military truck full of books and religious material and have started to throw
the contents into the incinerator. "When we realized that they were copies of
the Koran - Jamil says - we alerted the driver asking why they wanted to burn
the book. The soldier responded by saying that it was material of the prison and
they were ordered to discard it". The men plunged their hands into the oven to
try to save the texts, some burning their fingers and hands as they pulled eight
Koran copies from the fire, he said. The reaction of the Afghan workers scared
the soldiers who fled with the still carrying more than half of the box full of
copies of the Koran.http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Fifth-day-of-protests-over-Koran-burning.-UN-headquarters-in-Kunduz-attacked-24075.html
- Watch Archbishop holds Adoration in Notre Dame Cathedral and Catholic Priests pray with Laity outside during Satanic Mass - Video
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- Breaking : Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin Signs 4 Enacted Pro-Life Bills - Protecting Babies with Heartbeats
- Be Kind - Donate Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- Wow Knights of Columbus hold 137th Annual Convention - Reports $185.7 Million Donated to Charities
- US Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Conference in Canada - Register for Goodness, Truth and Beauty ... and the Encounter With Evil
- Wow ESPN story on Basketball Star Shelly Pennefather who left $200K contract to be a Cloistered Nun
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text