ASIA NEWS REPORT:
Shafiq Ahmed, Premier during regime, could be behind
assault himself. The Electoral Commission confirms runoff between Mursi,
President of the Justice and Freedom Party (Muslim Brotherhood) and Shafiq.
Voting will take place June 15 to 16. Hundreds protest against election
Cairo (AsiaNews) - A group of unknown persons last night attacked the
headquarters of Ahmed Shafiq, a former member of the regime and one of the two
favorite candidates for the post of President with Mohammed Mursi (Muslim
Brotherhood). Thugs set fire to several rooms of the building and stole some
computers, but there were no injuries or major damage. The attack began just
hours after the announcement of the participation of Shafiq in the June 15
Supporters of the presidential candidate extinguished the fire
and dispersed the mob. Police arrested eight people found near the candidate's
headquarters, but the reasons and instigators of the assault remain unknown.
However, many suspect that it was artfully concocted by Shafiq supporters.
Former Premier under Mubarak, he is supported by the army and has based his
campaign on the return of security and order to the country devastated by the
riots, thus he is the only one who would benefit from a situation of
Yesterday, the Egyptian Election Commission confirmed a
runoff between Mohammed Mursi, President of the Justice and Freedom Party
(Muslim Brotherhood) first with 24.6% of the votes, and Ahmed Shafiq, the second
with 23% of the vote.
This result confirms the prediction announced by
the Islamists immediately after the voting, with a polarization between
supporters of the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood and the former regime. Abdel
Moneim Abul Fotouh, a moderate Islamist, and Amr Moussa, former president of the
Arab League, initially favorites in polls, came fourth and sixth. Yesterday
Moussa expressed concerns about the current situation. "A return to the old
regime - he said - is as unacceptable as the entry of religion into
The run-off will be held from 15 to 16 June. Today Salafis
from the al-Nour party announced that they will support the Muslim Brotherhood.
In the first round the Islamic radicals voted for Fotouh. Shafiq will try
instead to attract the votes of moderate and secular Muslims, but his
participation in the elections is still uncertain. Currently, the Constitutional
Court is reviewing the criteria that exclude former members of the Mubarak
regime from political life. The verdict will be announced on 11
Analysts predict a low turnout to the ballot. In the first round
only 46% of those eligible voted. The head to head between Mursi and Shafiq
represents in part the failure of the Jasmine Revolution, which in 2011 forced
the resignation of President Mubarak. The young activists of the Arab Spring are
faced with a difficult choice: those who vote for the former Premier of Mubarak
admit the final failure of the Tahrir Square uprisings, those who choose the
Muslim Brotherhood could help destroy the ideals of freedom for which the young
Today hundreds of people took to the streets in Cairo
and Alexandria to challenge the results of the vote, which they claim is the
result of electoral fraud and does not represent the will of the Egyptian
people. According to some activists, such events are the last chance to save the
ideals of the Jasmine Revolution.
- Queenship of Mary in Ottawa at Mass in Blessed Sacrament Parish with Archbishop Prendergast and Newly professed Sisters
- 1st Rosary Bowl in the Nation's Capital with 4 Bishops, many Priests, Religious Sisters and hundreds of Laity including Youth -
- Watch Archbishop holds Adoration in Notre Dame Cathedral and Catholic Priests pray with Laity outside during Satanic Mass - Video
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- Breaking : Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin Signs 4 Enacted Pro-Life Bills - Protecting Babies with Heartbeats
- Be Kind - Donate Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- Wow Knights of Columbus hold 137th Annual Convention - Reports $185.7 Million Donated to Charities
- US Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Conference in Canada - Register for Goodness, Truth and Beauty ... and the Encounter With Evil
- Wow ESPN story on Basketball Star Shelly Pennefather who left $200K contract to be a Cloistered Nun
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text