Agenzia Fides REPORT - The Bishop of the Diocese of Temuco, His Exc. Mgr. Manuel Camilo Vial, underlined that the Church must participate in working panel discussions with indigenous communities, announced by President Sebastián Piñera during his speech on May 21. The reason for this request made by the Bishop as President of the Social Pastoral- Caritas in Chile, was the announcement made by President Piñera in his last public statement, related to the proposal to create two new Indigenous Development Areas in Ercilla, Collipulli and the Province of Arauco. Mgr. Manuel Camilo Vial said he does not know how the new areas will function, since he has not been informed about the details, and this is why he has many questions to ask. The Church must participate in the project, based on the work carried out in Ercilla and Collipulli, through schools and parishes in the area which are in the province of Malleco in Araucania.
From the information gathered by Fides, it seems that President Sebastián Piñera has proposed working panel discussions in different territories, so that the indigenous themselves are able to actively participate in decisions that affect them. Mgr. Manuel Camilo Vial Risopatrón has already spoken on this subject (see Fides 02/05/2012), asking the government for constitutional recognition of indigenous Mapuche people, and society to take on multiculturalism. (CE)
- Watch Archbishop holds Adoration in Notre Dame Cathedral and Catholic Priests pray with Laity outside during Satanic Mass - Video
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- Breaking : Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin Signs 4 Enacted Pro-Life Bills - Protecting Babies with Heartbeats
- Be Kind - Donate Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- Wow Knights of Columbus hold 137th Annual Convention - Reports $185.7 Million Donated to Charities
- US Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Conference in Canada - Register for Goodness, Truth and Beauty ... and the Encounter With Evil
- Wow ESPN story on Basketball Star Shelly Pennefather who left $200K contract to be a Cloistered Nun
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text