ASIA NEWS REPORT:
Activists slam violence by Syrian government forces.
Video of dead children are posted online, but independent verification is
impossible. Thousands of people protested yesterday after Friday prayers. For
UN's Ban Ki-moon, the situation is "extremely serious".
Damascus (AsiaNews/Agencies) - At least 88 people, including many children,
have been killed in Syria's restive Homs province as government forces attacked
rebel positions. Activists call the outcome of the attack a massacre. If
confirmed, it would be one of the worst losses of life since a truce was agreed
to in April. In a letter to the Security Council, UN chief Ban Ki-moon said the
opposition controlled "significant parts of some cities." The situation, he
added, was "extremely serious," urging states not to arm either side in the
In addition to the violence in Houla (Homs), Friday saw at least 20 people
killed elsewhere in the country, local sources reported, when tens of thousands
of protesters took to the streets after prayers. In Houla itself, activists said
some of those who died were butchered by government militia, others killed in
shelling or summary executions. Pictures and videos have been posted online
showing the slaughtered children.
The Local Coordination Committees (LCC) said at least 88 people had died,
"most of them women and children". For the Syrian National Council, the UN
Security Council must act urgently to stop the carnage. However, neither the
reports nor the videos of the violence could be independently verified.
Meanwhile, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon talked about recent attacks in a
letter to the Security Council, especially earlier this month, when a bombing in
Damascus left 55 dead.
For him, judging from the sophistication of the attacks, "established
terrorist groups" could have been behind some of the recent bomb blasts in
Overall, UN efforts to end the conflict had seen only "small progress", he
noted, and the «situation in Syria remains extremely serious".
- Queenship of Mary in Ottawa at Mass in Blessed Sacrament Parish with Archbishop Prendergast and Newly professed Sisters
- 1st Rosary Bowl in the Nation's Capital with 4 Bishops, many Priests, Religious Sisters and hundreds of Laity including Youth -
- Watch Archbishop holds Adoration in Notre Dame Cathedral and Catholic Priests pray with Laity outside during Satanic Mass - Video
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- Breaking : Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin Signs 4 Enacted Pro-Life Bills - Protecting Babies with Heartbeats
- Be Kind - Donate Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- Wow Knights of Columbus hold 137th Annual Convention - Reports $185.7 Million Donated to Charities
- US Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Conference in Canada - Register for Goodness, Truth and Beauty ... and the Encounter With Evil
- Wow ESPN story on Basketball Star Shelly Pennefather who left $200K contract to be a Cloistered Nun
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text