ASIA NEWS REPORT:
by Nina Achmatova
anti-Putin demonstrations, the Orthodox community continues its street protests.
Approximately 300 cars paraded through the centre of the capital calling for a
"Russia without abortions."
Moscow (AsiaNews) - Street demonstrations in support of the Russian Orthodox
Church continue. After the motorcade in favour of Patriarch Kirill of Moscow,
under attack for a series of scandals that have emerged in the national media,
on May 20 in the Russian capital took place another motorcade through the city
centre took place, this time in favour of the "orthodox family and against
According to the Interfax news agency, it was attended by about 300
vehicles, many waving banners reading "Russia without abortions" - a variation
of the slogans used by the opposition "Russia without Putin" - "Hands up for
Patriarch Kirill" or "Build the 200 promised churches" referring to the project
- approved last year by the Moscow but going slowly - for the construction of
new places of worship in the city. "If the head of any government bans the
construction of a church, ask for his resignation," motorcade organiser and
leader of the Guild of the Orthodox Church, Kirill Frolov, told Interfax.
The renewed civic activism of Russian society, evident in the last months of
unprecedented anti-government protests, is finding its counterpart also in the
Orthodox community. The same Patriarchate of Moscow has promoted demonstrations
such as the day in defence of the faith, which April 22 brought at least 40
thousand people to the front courtyard of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior "to
protect orthodoxy from anti-Russians" as Kirill himself explained.
- Pope Francis tells Augustinians "Prayer and penance do not cease to be the cornerstones on which Christian witness is based..." Full Text
- Litany to the Holy Name of Mary and Powerful Prayers to Share honoring Mary with Indulgences
- Canadian Bishops Issue Catholic Voting Guide saying "The principles of respect for life from conception to natural death and of the dignity of the human person should influence how Christians..."
- Wow 1 Million at Mass with Pope Francis who says “As believers, we must stretch out our hands, as Jesus does with us”. Full Text Homily + Video
- #BreakingNews Massive Pro-Life March in Northern Ireland with 20,000 from all Religions defending Unborn Babies - Video
- Pope Francis says "...God's presence in the midst of his poor..." at "City of Friendship" built on Dumpsters with housing for 25,000 people Founded by his former Student
- #BreakingNews Crowds of Children and Students form Human Chain in Hong Kong in ongoing Protests - Watch Video
- Crowd of Nuns Full of Joy to meet Pope Francis who says with these little acts of love that “God saves the world” in Madagascar
- Quote to SHARE by St. Augustine “If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.”
- BE KIND and DONATE Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- 1st Rosary Bowl in the Nation's Capital with 4 Bishops, many Priests, Religious Sisters and hundreds of Laity including Youth -
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text