ASIA NEWS REPORT:
Regular Syrian forces have begun to pound Aleppo again
with helicopters and tanks. Syrian opposition controls about 40 per cent of the
city. More bloodshed is likely. A pro-Assad lawmaker defects to
Aleppo (AsiaNews/ Agencies) - The Syrian military is getting ready for a
showdown with rebels who have been under siege in the northern and south-western
districts of Aleppo, where at least 34 people were killed in the city on
This morning, combat helicopters, tanks and armoured personnel carrier from
Idlib province (on the Turkish border) began shelling districts under the
control of the Free Syrian Army (FSA) and other rebel groups.
Experts say opposition leaders, including in the FSA, are working to set up a
united anti-Assad front to confront what pro-government al-Watan
newspaper has warned would be the mother of all battles.
It is expected that foreign paramilitary groups like al-Qaeda and Hizbollah
will join their respective allies for the fight.
Meanwhile, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan yesterday accused
Syria of recruiting members of the PKK, a nationalist Kurdish party operating in
Turkish Kurdistan. He warned that Turkish forces would respond to any crime on
With a population of 1.9 million, Aleppo is Syrian's main commercial and
industrial hub. It also has the third largest Christian community (300,000) in
the Arab world after Beirut and Cairo.
Local sources report that thousands of civilians are fleeing the city for the
Signs of a coming slaughter come from the Syrian government, which has warned
its officials still in the city to leave for Damascus by plane.
Other officials have taken advantage of the situation to escape abroad. They
include Ikhlas Badawi, who represents the city of Aleppo in Syria's recently
elected parliament. After crossing into Turkey, she is expected to fly to Qatar
where other top defectors have found refuge. She is the fourth Syrian lawmaker
to break with the regime.
UN Human Rights Chief Navy Pillay said she is concerned about the conflict
escalating, especially in Aleppo, where clashes have been reported in the
Citadel, which is part of the Ancient City of Aleppo, a UNESCO World Heritage
Site since 1986.
She called on the government and the armed opposition to protect civilians,
and respect international conversions on human rights. In case of violations,
both parties would be liable for sanctions.
SHARED FROM ASIA NEWS IT
- Pope Francis tells Augustinians "Prayer and penance do not cease to be the cornerstones on which Christian witness is based..." Full Text
- Litany to the Holy Name of Mary and Powerful Prayers to Share honoring Mary with Indulgences
- Canadian Bishops Issue Catholic Voting Guide saying "The principles of respect for life from conception to natural death and of the dignity of the human person should influence how Christians..."
- Wow 1 Million at Mass with Pope Francis who says “As believers, we must stretch out our hands, as Jesus does with us”. Full Text Homily + Video
- #BreakingNews Massive Pro-Life March in Northern Ireland with 20,000 from all Religions defending Unborn Babies - Video
- Pope Francis says "...God's presence in the midst of his poor..." at "City of Friendship" built on Dumpsters with housing for 25,000 people Founded by his former Student
- #BreakingNews Crowds of Children and Students form Human Chain in Hong Kong in ongoing Protests - Watch Video
- Crowd of Nuns Full of Joy to meet Pope Francis who says with these little acts of love that “God saves the world” in Madagascar
- Quote to SHARE by St. Augustine “If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.”
- BE KIND and DONATE Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- 1st Rosary Bowl in the Nation's Capital with 4 Bishops, many Priests, Religious Sisters and hundreds of Laity including Youth -
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text