ASIA NEWS REPORT: The baby boy is only a few days old. It was still wrapped in the placenta and the umbilical cord was attached. Firefighters sawed the sewer pipe in which the baby was stuck and took him to the hospital where he was freed from the pipe. The abandonment perhaps linked to the one-child policy, which so far has prevented the birth of 400 million children.
Beijing (AsiaNews / Agencies) - A newborn flushed down the toilet as soon as he was born, has been rescued by firefighters who wrenched open the sewer pipe on hearing his screams. "Fortunately, the baby survived - says a policeman on portal.hangzhou.com.cn - but the person who abandoned him is suspected of murder."
The incident occurred in Jinhua (Zhejiang). Two days ago, some residents on the fourth floor of a house, heard the cries of the small child coming from the sewer tube and they called the fire department. After several unsuccessful attempts, firefighters cut a section of the tube a length of 30-40cm and took him to the hospital, where together with the doctors, using saws and pliers, they gradually freed the infant, still wrapped in the placenta and with the umbilical cord attached
The baby is thought to be only two or three days old and has some slight injuries and a slow heartbeat. He is now in an incubator and his condition is said to be stable.
The person responsible for having flushed him down the toilet is still unknown. According to internet comments, these cases are frequent in births outside of marriage or because of the one-child law. The families who already have a child, to avoid paying exorbitant fines required by the ministry for population control, prefer to remove or abandon infants. The ministry boasts that from the end of the 1970s until today, thanks to the one-child policy, it has prevented the birth of approximately 400 million children, often through forced abortions and sterilizations.
SHARED FROM ASIA NEWS
Catholic News World
- #BreakingNews US Bishops Statement on Protests "..the violence of recent nights is self-destructive..Nothing is gained by violence.." Full Text
- At Pentecost Sunday Mass Pope Francis says "Come, Holy Spirit: you are harmony; make us builders of unity." Full Text Homily + Video
- Top Hymns to the Holy Spirit for Pentecost to SHARE - Wow Breathtaking Music!
- What is Pentecost? 10 Things to Know and SHARE - The Holy Spirit descends on Us at #Pentecost
- Donate Today! SCROLL down to Read all the New Stories - Newspaper format - Donations are Welcome!