(Vatican Radio) Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi, director of the Vatican Press Office, told Vatican Radio that Pope Francis has personally requested the presence of a sick child when he presides Sunday’s closing mass for World Youth Day celebrations in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The little girl, who suffers from anencephaly, a condition which means she was born without a large part of her brain, will be brought up to the altar during the Offertory procession. Most children affected by anencephaly do not survive this condition or are aborted before the pregnancy comes to term.
The little girl’s parents presented her to Pope Francis as he was leaving Rio’s Saint Sebastian Cathedral following Saturday’s mass with religious. The couple said that though they could have legally aborted their sick child, they decided to celebrate her life.
Fr. Lombardi said, “the Pope will welcome this very tiny girl during the Offertory procession of the final Mass for World Youth Day as a sign of welcome and of offering of life to God.”
SHARED FROM RADIO VATICANA
Catholic News World
- Holy Mass Online - Readings and Video : Monday, May 25, 2020 - #Eucharist in Eastertide - Your Virtual Church
- Wow Former Doctor turned Dominican Seminarian Returns to Hospital to Work putting Priestly Studies on Hold
- Why is May the Month of Mary - Free Resources - FAQ about Blessed Mary to Share!
- Pope Francis writes Letter Encouraging Everyone to Pray the Rosary while "contemplating the face of Christ" Full Text with Special Prayers
- Novena to St. Joseph - Miracle Prayer for Work and other Special Prayers
- Wow Latest Statistics show Percentage of Catholics in the World has Grown to 1.329 Billion People Globally
- Donate Today! SCROLL down to Read all the New Stories - Newspaper format - Donations are Welcome!