ASIA NEWS REPORT
Three suicide bombers targeted the building in Jalalabad, one blew himself up, the others engage in a shootout with police. No Indian was injured. The provisional toll is nine dead and 27 wounded.
Kabul (AsiaNews / Agencies) - This morning, three suicide bombers blew themselves up in front of the Indian consulate in Jalalabad (eastern Afghanistan), killing at least nine people and injuring about 27. Among the victims - all Afghan - are children. No Indian citizen was involved in the attack.
Currently no terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the attack. The Taliban have denied their involvement.
According to security sources, the three suicide bombers approached the consulate in the car. Two got out, while the third one detonated himself. Shortly after the police opened fire on the other two, engaging them in a firefight that lasted almost an hour. It is still unclear if the attackers are dead, killed by their own bombs or the police bullets.
It is not the first time that the Indian diplomatic offices in Afghanistan have been targeted. In 2008 and 2009, the Indian embassy in Kabul was hit, counting a total of 75 dead. Also in the capital, in 2010, two guest houses were attacked, leaving 6 Indians dead. For both episodes, India has always accused the terrorists of the Pakistan-based group Lashkar-e-Taiba.
The attack came a day away from the order given by the United States, which has imposed all their embassies in the Middle East - and in Islamic countries - to remain closed tomorrow, for "security.
SHARED FROM ASIA NEWS IT
Catholic News World
- Pope Francis says "As we begin the New Year, may we discover anew that faith demands worship...Worship means putting the Lord at the centre..." at Epiphany Mass - Full Text
- Happy New Year! 10 Easy Ways to make 2020 Peaceful! - Share and Change the World!
- Thousands of University Students in Phoenix learn Evangelization from FOCUS with Nuncio, a Cardinal, Matt Maher and more! - Video
- US Bishops' President Archbishop José H. Gomez says "We pray for peace in our hearts and peace in our world. We pray for the conversion of every heart that hates..." Full Text
- SCROLL down to Read all the New Stories - Newspaper format - Donations are Welcome!