Agenzia Fides REPORT - The South African police have arrested two men suspected of killing an 82-year-old U.S. religious, Sister Mary Paule Tacke, of the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of the Precious Blood (CPS), also known as the Missionaries of Mariannhill, during an attempted street robbery and investigations are still underway.
According to information gathered by Fides Agency, Sister Mary’s car was stopped by bandits on Sunday, June 15 near Mthatha while the nun was on her way to visit one of the orphanages she founded. The car, with the bandits on board, was subsequently chased by the police. The chase ended when the car, driven by the bandits, overturned near Qokolweni. The criminals managed to escape. A gun was found in the car but there was no trace of the nun. After days of searching, Sister Mary’s body was found on June 20 in a stream near the village of Tyara, 60 km from Mthatha. The body did not show signs of blows inflicted by firearms. Police believe that the nun was strangled. There was a purse with money, driver's license and house keys in her pocket.
Sister Mary was originally from Cottonwood, Idaho, and had been working in South Africa since the 50s. She had founded the Bethany Place of Safety (an orphanage for abandoned children) in 1955 after some policemen had entrusted her some orphans. Later she founded another orphanage, the Thembelihle Home, for older children, many of whom are HIV positive. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/06/2014)
- Watch Archbishop holds Adoration in Notre Dame Cathedral and Catholic Priests pray with Laity outside during Satanic Mass - Video
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- Breaking : Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin Signs 4 Enacted Pro-Life Bills - Protecting Babies with Heartbeats
- Be Kind - Donate Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- Wow Knights of Columbus hold 137th Annual Convention - Reports $185.7 Million Donated to Charities
- US Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Conference in Canada - Register for Goodness, Truth and Beauty ... and the Encounter With Evil
- Wow ESPN story on Basketball Star Shelly Pennefather who left $200K contract to be a Cloistered Nun
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text