O Sacrum Convivium is a Latin prose in honor of the Blessed Sacrament. It is found as an antiphon to Magnificat in the vespers of the liturgical office on the feast of Corpus Christi. The text of the office is thought to have been written by Saint Thomas Aquinas. This hauntingly beautiful piece has been set to music by Thomas Tallis but numerous others have composed music to this text.
O sacrum convivium!
- in quo Christus sumitur:
- recolitur memoria passionis eius:
- mens impletur gratia:
- et futurae gloriae nobis pignus datur.
- Translation of original Latin
- O sacred banquet!
- in which Christ is received,
- the memory of his Passion is renewed,
- the mind is filled with grace,
- and a pledge of future glory to us is given.