Catholic News World
- Pope Francis says "As we begin the New Year, may we discover anew that faith demands worship...Worship means putting the Lord at the centre..." at Epiphany Mass - Full Text
- Happy New Year! 10 Easy Ways to make 2020 Peaceful! - Share and Change the World!
- Thousands of University Students in Phoenix learn Evangelization from FOCUS with Nuncio, a Cardinal, Matt Maher and more! - Video
- US Bishops' President Archbishop José H. Gomez says "We pray for peace in our hearts and peace in our world. We pray for the conversion of every heart that hates..." Full Text
- SCROLL down to Read all the New Stories - Newspaper format - Donations are Welcome!
Sunday, February 26, 2017
#PopeFrancis "God is for us our great friend, ally, Father, but we are not always aware of it" at #Angelus - FULL TEXT + Video
Before the Angelus
Today’s Gospel page (cf.
After the Angelus
I greet the group that came on the occasion of the “Day of Rare Diseases” — thank you, thank you for all that you do — and I hope that the patients and their families are adequately supported in the not easy course, be it at the medical as well as the legislative level.
Blogger SHARE from ][Original text: Italian]
#PopeFrancis "Each day a thousand children die from water-related illnesses and millions of persons consume polluted water" FULL TEXT at Conference on Water
BISHOP AND CONFESSOR
347, Thessalonica, GreeceDied:
February 26, 420, Gaza, Palestine
Bishop of Gaza in Palestine, b. at Thessalonica about 347; d. at Gaza, 26 February, 420. After five years in the Egyptian desert of Scete he lived five years in a cave near the Jordan. In spite of his impaired health, he frequently visited the scene of the Resurrection. Here he met the Asiatic Mark, at a later date a deacon of his church and his biographer. To effect the sale of the property still owned by Porphyrius in his native city, Mark set out for Thessalonica and, upon his return, the proceeds were distributed among the monasteries of Egypt and among the necessitous in and around Jerusalem. In 392 Porphyrius was ordained to the priesthood, and the relic of the Holy Cross was intrusted to his care. In 395 he became Bishop of Gaza, a stronghold of paganism, with an insignificant Christian community. The attitude of the pagan population was hostile so that the bishop appealed to the emperor for protection and pleaded repeatedly for the destruction of pagan temples. He finally obtained an imperial rescript ordering the destruction of pagan sanctuaries at Gaza. A Christian church was erected on the site of the temple of Marnas. In 415 Porphyrius attended the Council of Diospolis. The "Vita S. Porphyrii" of Mark the Deacon, formerly known only in a Latin translation, was published in 1874 by M. Haupt in its original Greek text; a new edition was issued in 1895 by the Bonn Philological Society.
(Taken from Catholic Encyclopedia)