Catholic News World
- Pope Francis LIVE Joins in Worldwide Prayers from Vatican with Urbi et Orbi Blessing to End the Coronavirus Pandemic - FULL Video
- #BreakingNews Public Holy Mass Suspended in Dioceses across USA - Online Mass and Spiritual Communion Prayers Recommended
- State of Emergency in Ontario - Forcing All Churches to Suspend Masses but Doors remain Open and Priests say Private Masses
- Entire Province of Quebec Cancels Weekend Masses due to Coronavirus but Churches Stay Open - Full Text
- Pope Francis permits Churches in Rome to be Open for Prayer reversing previous Decree
- Donate Today! SCROLL down to Read all the New Stories - Newspaper format - Donations are Welcome!
Saturday, June 10, 2017
Sant'Angelo in Pescheria, Rome Martyr with Amantius, Caerealis, and Primitivus during the reign of Emperor Hadrian (r. 117-138). He was the husband of St. Symphorosa. An officer in the Roman army, he resigned when he became a Christian and returned to his estates near Tivoli, Italy. There he converted Caerealis, the imperial legate sent to arrest him. With his brother Amantius and with Caerealis and Primitivus, Getulius was tortured and martyred at Tivoli. The significance of the conversion rests in part upon the fact that the emperor himself owned a large and famous estate in the same area, an indication of how the Christian faith had established itself among the ranks of the wealthy patrician class of the empire.
(Taken from Our Sunday Visitor's Encyclopedia of Saints)