The Solemnity of Mary Mother of God is celebrated on January 1st and is a Holy Day of Obligation; meaning Catholics must attend Mass. The Solemnity falls exactly one week after Christmas, the end of the octave of Christmas. It is fitting to honor Mary as Mother of Jesus, at this time, following the birth of Christ. When we celebrate the Solemnity of Mary Mother of God ,we are not only honoring Mary, who was chosen among all women throughout history to bear God incarnate, but we are also honoring our Lord, who is fully God and fully human. Calling Mary "mother of God" is the highest honor we can give Mary. Just as Christmas honors Jesus as the "Prince of Peace," the Solemnity of Mary Mother of God honors Mary as the "Queen of Peace" The Solemnity of Mary Mother of God, falling on New Year's Day, is also designated the World Day of Peace. Text from 365Rosaries
Catholic News World
- Week of Prayer for Christian Unity January 18-25 - Promoted by Bishops and Vatican - Free Resources - #ChristianUnity
- Wow Weekly Ministry in Maximum Security Prison leads to Baptisms and Confirmations by Bishop
- Happy New Year! 10 Easy Ways to make 2020 Peaceful! - Share and Change the World!
- Thousands of University Students in Phoenix learn Evangelization from FOCUS with Nuncio, a Cardinal, Matt Maher and more! - Video
- US Bishops' President Archbishop José H. Gomez says "We pray for peace in our hearts and peace in our world. We pray for the conversion of every heart that hates..." Full Text
- SCROLL down to Read all the New Stories - Newspaper format - Donations are Welcome!