The Elections have been going on in the USA. This is a crucial time to pray and ask God for mercy on the nation.
Here are 5 Reasons to Pray for the Election:
1. God is in Charge - No matter who wins Christ is the King - but he needs you to pray for the world. In the Bible Jesus said of a certain evil spirit "This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting.” (Mark 9:29)
2. Prayer is a way that you make your voice heard but also, a way to honor, praise and adore God. “Even now,” declares the Lord, return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.” (Joel 2:12)
3. Pray for peace in the hearts of citizens. God can make peace flow through the nation with the help of your prayers.
4. The best ways to pray are to attend Holy Mass, Adoration, Say the Rosary or Divine Mercy Chaplet.
5. Prayer changes things. In the Bible we find the example of a widow "..and then was a widow until she was eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying." (Luke 2:37)
Prayer For an Election
Lord God, as the election approaches,
we seek to better understand the issues and concerns that confront our city/state/country,
and how the Gospel compels us to respond as faithful citizens in our community.
We ask for eyes that are free from blindness
so that we might see each other as brothers and sisters,
one and equal in dignity,
especially those who are victims of abuse and violence, deceit and poverty.
We ask for ears that will hear the cries of children unborn and those abandoned,
Men and women oppressed because of race or creed, religion or gender.
We ask for minds and hearts that are open to hearing the voice of leaders who will bring us closer to your Kingdom.
We pray for discernment
so that we may choose leaders who hear your Word,
live your love,
and keep in the ways of your truth
as they follow in the steps of Jesus and his Apostles
and guide us to your Kingdom of justice and peace.
We ask this in the name of your Son Jesus Christ and through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Say 1 Our Father, One Hail Mary and 1 Glory Be with this Prayer.
Prayer and Image Source: USCCB