Pope Francis Adds Patron of the Disabled, Blind Lay Dominican Blessed Margaret Castello to Calendar of Saints and Brings others Closer to Canonization
Pope Francis authorizes the Congregation for the Causes of Saints to promulgate decrees concerning the Canonization of an Italian religious, the martyrdom of 12 individuals and the heroic virtues of three lay people.
Holy See press release:
On April 24, 2021, the Holy Father Francis received in audience His Eminence Most Reverend Cardinal Marcello Semeraro, Prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints.
During the audience, the Supreme Pontiff confirmed the conclusions of the Ordinary Session of Cardinals and Bishops, Members of the Congregation, and decided to extend the cult of Blessed Margaret of Città di Castello, of the Third Order of Preachers to the universal Church; born around 1287 in Metola (Italy) and died in Città di Castello (Italy) on 13 April 1320, inscribing her in the catalog of the Saints (Equivalent Canonization).
During the same audience, the Supreme Pontiff also authorized the Congregation to promulgate the decrees concerning:
- the martyrdom of the Servants of God Vincenzo Nicasio Renuncio Toribio and 11 Companions, of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer; killed in hatred of the Faith in Madrid (Spain) in 1936;
- the heroic virtues of the Servant of God Pietro Marcellino Corradini, Bishop of Frascati, Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church, Founder of the Congregation of the Collegine Sisters of the Holy Family; born on 2 June 1658 in Sezze (Italy) and died in Rome (Italy) on 8 February 1743;
- the heroic virtues of the Servant of God Emanuele Stablum, professed religious of the Congregation of the Sons of the Immaculate Conception; born on 10 June 1895 in Terzolas (Italy) and died in Rome (Italy) on 16 March 1950;
- the heroic virtues of the Servant of God Enrico Ernesto Shaw, Faithful Layman and Father of a family; born on February 26, 1921 in Paris (France) and died in Buenos Aires (Argentina) on August 27, 1962;
- the heroic virtues of the Servant of God María de los Desamparados Portilla Crespo, Faithful Laywoman and Mother of the family; born on May 26, 1925 in Valencia (Spain) and died in Madrid (Spain) on May 10, 1996;
- the heroic virtues of the Servant of God Anfrosina Berardi, Lay Faithful; born on 6 December 1920 in San Marco di Preturo (Italy) and died there on 13 March 1933.