Pope Francis Will Canonize 3 New Saints on May 15 - Including Bl. Titus Brandsma (Netherlands), Bl. Maria Rivier and Bl. Mary of Jesus (France)
This morning, at 10.30, in the Consistory Hall of the Vatican Apostolic Palace, the Holy Father Francis presided over the celebration of the Third Hour and the Ordinary Public Consistory for the Canonization of the Blessed:
- Blessed Titus Brandsma , professed priest of the Carmelite Order, martyr;
Father Titus Brandsma was a Dutch theologian, journalist, and author who forcefully opposed and spoke out against the anti-Jewish laws the Nazis were passing in Germany before World War II. He was arrested in January 1942 when Germany invaded the Netherlands. The Nazis told him that he would be allowed to live a quiet life in a monastery if he would announce that Catholic newspapers should publish Nazi propaganda. The Carmelite priest refused, for which he was subject to hardship and starvation in the Dachau concentration camp. He died after he was injected with carbolic acid on July 26 that same year. He was 61.
- Blessed Maria Rivier , founder of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Presentation of Mary;
Sister Maria Rivier was born on 19 December 1768 in the eastern French town of Montpezat-sous-Bauzon. When she was 16 months old, she fell off her bed and broke her hip, leading to 10 years of suffering. The ordeal aroused a desire in her to dedicate herself to God. Later, she had another fall which laid her low again. But her determination and trust in God led her to full recovery in 1777. When the French Revolution broke out, despite the hostility of the insurgents towards the religious communities, she founded a community in 1796, which five years later took the name of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Presentation of Mary. Shed died on February 3, 1838.
- Blessed Mary of Jesus ( born Carolina Santocanale ), founder of the Congregation of the Capuchin Sisters of the Immaculate Conception of Lourdes.
Blessed Sister Maria of Jesus, born Carolina Santocanale, was the foundress of the Capuchin Sisters of Immaculate Mary of Lourdes. The order continues to work with the sick, the poor, the disabled, and the abandoned.
The 3 will join a group of 7 others whose May 15 canonization had been decided earlier by the Pope on May 3 last year. Among them is Indian martyr Devasahayam (Lazarus) and Bl. Charles de Foucard.
During the Consistory, the Pope decreed that the Blessed be enrolled in the Register of Saints on Sunday 15 May 2022.
This was followed by the Optatio of nine Cardinals from the Order of Deacons to the Order of Presbyters:
- at the request of Cardinal Manuel Monteiro de Castro , the Diaconia of St. Dominic of Guzmán has been elevated pro hac vice to presbyteral title;
- at the request of Cardinal Santos Abril y Castelló , the Diaconia of San Ponziano was elevated pro hac vice to presbyteral title;
- at the request of Card. Antonio Maria Vegliò , the Diaconia of S. Cesareo in Palatio was elevated pro hac vice to presbyteral title;
- at the request of Card. Giuseppe Bertello , the Diaconia of Sts. Vito, Modesto and Crescenzia has been elevated pro hac vice to presbyteral title;
- at the request of Card. Francesco Coccopalmerio , the Diaconia of S. Giuseppe dei Falegnami has been elevated pro hac vice to presbyteral title;
- at the request of Card. João Braz de Aviz , the Diaconia of St. Elena outside Porta Prenestina has been elevated pro hac vice to a presbyteral title;
- at the request of Card. Edwin Frederick O'Brien , the Diaconia of S. Sebastiano al Palatino was elevated pro hac vice to a presbyteral title;
- at the request of Card. Domenico Calcagno , the Diaconia of the Annunciation of the BVM in Via Ardeatina has been elevated pro hac vice to a presbyteral title;
- at the request of Card. Giuseppe Versaldi , the Diaconia of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Castro Pretorio has been elevated pro hac vice to a presbyteral title.
Source: Biographies from Vatican News and https://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/it/bollettino/pubblico/2022/03/04/0155/00334.html