- Pope Francis tells Augustinians "Prayer and penance do not cease to be the cornerstones on which Christian witness is based..." Full Text
- Litany to the Holy Name of Mary and Powerful Prayers to Share honoring Mary with Indulgences
- Canadian Bishops Issue Catholic Voting Guide saying "The principles of respect for life from conception to natural death and of the dignity of the human person should influence how Christians..."
- Wow 1 Million at Mass with Pope Francis who says “As believers, we must stretch out our hands, as Jesus does with us”. Full Text Homily + Video
- #BreakingNews Massive Pro-Life March in Northern Ireland with 20,000 from all Religions defending Unborn Babies - Video
- Pope Francis says "...God's presence in the midst of his poor..." at "City of Friendship" built on Dumpsters with housing for 25,000 people Founded by his former Student
- #BreakingNews Crowds of Children and Students form Human Chain in Hong Kong in ongoing Protests - Watch Video
- Crowd of Nuns Full of Joy to meet Pope Francis who says with these little acts of love that “God saves the world” in Madagascar
- Quote to SHARE by St. Augustine “If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.”
- BE KIND and DONATE Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- 1st Rosary Bowl in the Nation's Capital with 4 Bishops, many Priests, Religious Sisters and hundreds of Laity including Youth -
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
AFRICA: NIGERIA: 15 CHILDREN KIDNAPPED FROM SCHOOL
Agenzia Fides REPORT– "It is an unprecedented event. We are facing a terrible situation," Fides has been told by Archbishop John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, Archbishop of Abuja, the capital of Nigeria, where 15 children were abducted while they were on a school bus.The seizure took place yesterday morning, September 28, when a group of armed men stopped a school bus carrying children on their way to the Abayi International School, in the State of Abia, one of the states of the Niger Delta region, site of concentrated oil reserves in Nigeria. According to a government spokesman, the bandits have demanded a ransom of about 100,000 Euros to free the children."In that area, everyone is a victim of these bandits," said Archbishop Onaiyekan to Fides. "Even the Church has suffered abductions of her members. For six days, we have had heard no news of the accountant of Catholic University. However, there is no specific intention to attack the Church, as the bandits kidnap anyone, even local tribal leaders.""It is the government's responsibility to stop the kidnappers," says the Archbishop of Abuja. "The area where this act took place is relatively limited, so I do not think it would be impossible to hunt them down. "We are celebrating 50 years of national independence. I think we should take this opportunity to reflect on how Nigeria has been administered all these years," concludes Archbishop Onaiyekan. http://www.fides.org/aree/news/newsdet.php?idnews=27499&lan=eng