ASIA NEWS IT REPORT
Opposition claim it was a government plane; Damascus say
the attack is the work of terrorists. Halfaya was a zone "liberated" by the
rebels. Brahimi is in Damascus for new peace talks. His task seems
Damascus (AsiaNews / Agencies) - Several dozen people were killed and many
more injured in an air strike that hit a long line of people waiting to buy
bread from a bakery. Opponents of the regime have accused the Syrian government
of the carnage; the State TV is accusing "armed terrorist groups."
attack, that took place yesterday in Halfaya, near Hama, is one of the most
cruel and deadly of all the civil war that has inflamed Syria for 21 months. So
far there has been no independent confirmation, since the Damascus government
restricts the presence of reporters and correspondents. The rebels had declared
Halfaya a "liberated zone " only five days ago.
Videos posted online by
activists showed dozens of bloody bodies lying inert under the rubble. The
inhabitants of Halfaya say that the dead number at least 90 people, but the toll
is likely to grow because many of the wounded are in critical
According to the rebels the regime is desperate and resorting
to mass destruction.
As the violence continues, UN envoy Lakhdar Brahimi
has arrived in Damascus by land - for the continued fighting around the
international airport in the capital - to continue dialogue for peace and a
cease-fire. But his work now seems impossible, rejected by the rebels, who claim
to be close to victory, and the Syrian government which contemptuously continues
According to opposition activists, the Syrian war has
already caused at least 44 thousand deaths, at a rate of 100 deaths per day.
SHARED FROM ASIA NEWS IT
- 1st Rosary Bowl in the Nation's Capital with 4 Bishops, many Priests, Religious Sisters and hundreds of Laity including Youth -
- Watch Archbishop holds Adoration in Notre Dame Cathedral and Catholic Priests pray with Laity outside during Satanic Mass - Video
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- Breaking : Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin Signs 4 Enacted Pro-Life Bills - Protecting Babies with Heartbeats
- Be Kind - Donate Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- Wow Knights of Columbus hold 137th Annual Convention - Reports $185.7 Million Donated to Charities
- US Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Conference in Canada - Register for Goodness, Truth and Beauty ... and the Encounter With Evil
- Wow ESPN story on Basketball Star Shelly Pennefather who left $200K contract to be a Cloistered Nun
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text