AsiaNewsReprt: by Sumon Corraya
The victim, who is disabled, has survived and is in hospital. Catholic, is the niece of a local priest. Her abuser is a young Muslim of 25 is currently in prison.
Mymensingh (AsiaNews) - Catholics in the Diocese of Mymensingh in Bangladesh are calling for a exemplary punishment and no impunity for the man who raped Balsree Chambugong, a disabled 8 years old Catholic girl. She was attacked June 27: the rapist, Sahab Ali, a Muslim of 25, is currently in prison. The little girl has been hospitalized for her injuries.
Initial reports reveal that the young man took advantage of a moment when the child was alone in her home. He dragged her out to a nearby bamboo field, where he raped her. Some neighbors heard Balsree screaming and managed to stop the man, and then call the police.
The little girl, a tribal of Garo ethnicity, is a member of the parish of St. George, Mariamnagar (district of Sherpur) and is the niece of Fr. Biolen Chambugong, a Catholic priest who works in Baluchora, another parish in the diocese.
Yesterday, students and local Catholics organized a protest to demand action. Fr. Shimon Hacha, senior priest of the Diocese of Mymensingh, told AsiaNews: "Christian Women and girls are not safe in their homes. We need security from the local authorities".
Catholic News World
- Pope Francis LIVE Joins in Worldwide Prayers from Vatican with Urbi et Orbi Blessing to End the Coronavirus Pandemic - FULL Video
- #BreakingNews Public Holy Mass Suspended in Dioceses across USA - Online Mass and Spiritual Communion Prayers Recommended
- State of Emergency in Ontario - Forcing All Churches to Suspend Masses but Doors remain Open and Priests say Private Masses
- Entire Province of Quebec Cancels Weekend Masses due to Coronavirus but Churches Stay Open - Full Text
- Pope Francis permits Churches in Rome to be Open for Prayer reversing previous Decree
- Donate Today! SCROLL down to Read all the New Stories - Newspaper format - Donations are Welcome!