Damascus (AsiaNews/Agencies) – The United Nations Security Council is meeting today (at 11 am local time) to vote on a draft resolution demanding a 30-day truce in Syria to allow humanitarian aid deliveries and medical evacuations.
It is unclear whether the text is backed by Russia, which along with Iran is the Syrian regime’s main ally. Russia's UN ambassador called for "feasible" not "populist" action.
The vote comes as warplanes pounded eastern Ghouta for a fifth day running. The UN has described what is happening in the city as "hell on earth" with hundreds of dead and wounded.
Russia yesterday proposed amendments to the resolution drafted by Sweden and Kuwait, arguing that the language was unrealistic and that the 15-member Security Council could not simply impose a truce on Syria without consulting the parties.
It was not immediately clear what changes were made to the text. A resolution needs nine votes in favour and no vetoes by Russia, China, the United States, Great Britain or France.
Russia has cast 11 vetoes on possible Security Council action on Syria since its civil war began in March 2011.
For their part, people in eastern Ghouta continue to die. According to the latest information provided by sources close to the rebels, 400 people were killed in in five days.
The Syrian state news agency also reported that rebel shellfire killed a child and wounded six civilians in the government-controlled Barzeh district of Damascus.
Text Source: Asia News IT
- What is the Eucharist or Communion? 5 Points on the Eucharist to Share from the Bible and Catechism
- Pope Francis at Corpus Christi Mass says "Before the Eucharist, Jesus made the Bread, this humble Bread that contains the whole of the Church, we learn...to praise God..." with Procession - Full Text
- Powerful Prayer to Jesus in the Eucharist - The Litany of the Blessed Sacrament to Share!
- #BreakingNews over 200,000 people at March for Life in Poland - Annual Pro-Life March in 130 Cities
- Dear Reader your Kind Assistance is Needed - Please consider any Donation we Need you Help!
- #BreakingNews Join Religious Freedom Week - Free Resources for Churches from US Bishops - Full Text
- Wow Nearly 3 Million people at Uganda, Martyrs' Day in Africa - with Pilgrims from around the World!
- #BreakingNews Christians are undergoing a Genocide as Revealed in New report by BBC
Friday, February 23, 2018
#BreakingNews 400 People Killed in Syria in 5 Days of Attacks - Please Pray
The text calls for a 30-day truce in order to deliver humanitarian aid and evacuate wounded from eastern Ghouta, a rebel enclave under government siege. In five days of attacks at least 400 people have been killed. People have also died in Damascus. Moscow threatens to use its veto if the resolution is unfavourable to its Syrian ally.