Here is the most common list of Stations:
1. Jesus is condemned to death
2. Jesus carries his cross
3. Jesus falls the first time
4. Jesus meets his mother
5. Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus carry the cross
6. Veronica wipes the face of Jesus
7. Jesus falls the second time
8. Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem
9. Jesus falls the third time
10. Jesus is stripped of his garments
11.Crucifixion: Jesus is nailed to the cross
12. Jesus dies on the cross
13. Jesus is taken down from the cross
14. Jesus is laid in the tomb.
15. Resurrection of Jesus is sometimes included as a fifteenth station.
Common prayers at each Station:
P/ We adore thee O Christ and we praise thee.
C/Becuase by thy Holy cross thou hast redeemed the world.
And, when moving from station to station:
All: Holy Mother, pierce me thorugh, in my heart each wound renew, of my saviour crucified.
- A plenary indulgence every time the devotion is completed.
- An additional plenary indulgence if one receives Holy Communion on the day.
- Also an additional plenary indulgence if one performs the devotion ten times and receives Holy Communion within a month after so doing.
- A partial indulgence of ten years for every Station made if one was not able to finish the Stations.
- Walking from Station to Station when making the Way of the Cross privately; when making it publicly, it suffices for the priest with the altar boys to do so. Meditate at each Station on the sufferings of our Lord.
one is free from all attachment from sin one receives the Sacraments of Penance and the Eucharist (7 days before or after) one prays for the intentions of the Pope (1 Our Father, 1 Hail Mary and 1 Glory Be)