Pope Francis has Accepted the Resignation of Archbishop Kurtz of the Archdiocese of Louisville and Appointed Bishop Shelton Fabre of Houma-Thibodaux as Successor
Pope Francis Accepts Resignation of Archbishop Joseph Kurtz of the Archdiocese of Louisville; Appoints Bishop Shelton Fabre of Houma-Thibodaux as SuccessorWASHINGTON - Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of Archbishop Joseph E. Kurtz, 75, from the pastoral governance of the Archdiocese of Louisville, and has appointed Bishop Shelton J. Fabre of Houma-Thibodaux as his successor.
The resignation and appointment were publicized in Washington, D.C. on February 8, 2022, by Archbishop Christophe Pierre, apostolic nuncio to the United States.
Bishop Shelton J. Fabre, 4th Bishop of the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux
GETTING TO KNOW HIM
- Shelton J. Fabre was born October 25, 1963 in New Roads, Louisiana. He is the fifth of six children.
- He was ordained a Deacon on December 10, 1988 by Archbishop Peter L. Gerety at St. Jan-de-Doperkerk in Leuven, Belgium.
- He was ordained a Priest on Saturday, August 5, 1989 by Bishop Stanley J. Ott at St. Joseph Cathedral in Baton Rouge, LA.
- He was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of New Orleans by Pope Benedict XVI on December 13, 2006.
- He was ordained an Auxiliary Bishop of New Orleans by Archbishop Alfred C. Hughes at the Cathedral-Basilica of St. Louis, King of France, in New Orleans, LA, on February 28, 2007.
- He was appointed Bishop of Houma-Thibodaux, September 23, 2013.
- He was installed Bishop of the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux, Cathedral of St. Francis de Sales, Houma, LA, October 30, 2013.
- 1989 MA in Religious Studies from the Katholiek Universiteit te Leuven in Louvain, Belgium
- 1987 BA in Religious Studies from the Katholiek Universiteit te Leuven in Louvain, Belgium
- 1985 BA in History from St. Joseph Seminary-College in St. Benedict, LA
- 1981 Graduated from Catholic High School of Pointe Coupee in New Roads, LA
|Sept 2013 - Present||Bishop of the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux|
|Mar 2009 – Oct 2013||Auxiliary Bishop of New Orleans, Vicar General, Moderator of the Curia|
|Feb 2007 – Mar 2009||Auxiliary Bishop of New Orleans, Vicar General|
|Pastor of Our Lady of the Rosary Church, New Orleans, LA|
|Jul 2004 – Feb 2007||Pastor of Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish in Baton Rouge, LA|
|2003 - 2007||Chairman of Pastoral Planning Committee, Diocese of Baton Rouge|
|2002 - 2003||Dean of the Northwest Deanery, Diocese of Baton Rouge|
|2000 - 2007||Clergy Personnel Board, Diocese of Baton Rouge|
|1999 - 2005||Diocesan School Board, Diocese of Baton Rouge|
|1999 - 2004||College of Consultors, Diocese of Baton Rouge|
|1996 - 2004||Priest Council, Diocese of Baton Rouge|
|1996 - 2004||Pastor of St. Joseph Church in Grosse Tete, LA|
|Pastor of Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in Maringouin, LA|
|1994 - 2007||Defender of the Bond for the Marriage Tribunal, Diocese of Baton Rouge|
|1990 - 2005||Director of the Office of Black Catholics, Diocese of Baton Rouge|
|Jul 1995 – Jan.1996||Associate Pastor of St. Joseph Cathedral in Baton Rouge|
|1994 -1995||Associate Pastor of St. Isidore the Farmer Church in Baker, LA|
|Aug. 1994 – Dec. 1994||Catholic Chaplain to Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola|
|1992 – 1994||Associate Pastor of St. George Church in Baton Rouge|
|1989 – 1992||Associate Pastor of St. Alphonsus Liguori Church in Greenwell Springs, LA|
OTHER ASSIGNMENTS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Jun 2013 - Present: Member, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) Committee on Cultural Diversity in the Church
- Jun 2013 - Present: Chair, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) Subcommittee for African-American Catholics
- 2010 – 2013: Member, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) Subcommittee for African-American Catholics
- 2007 – 2011: Member, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) Committee for the American College of Louvain
- 2006: FBI Baton Rouge Citizens Academy Graduate
- 2005: Inducted as a Member of the Equestrian Order of the Knights of the Holy Sepulcher
- 2004 - 2007: Advisory Board Member for Catholic Community Services of the Diocese of Baton Rouge
- 2001 -2004: Board Member of the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank
- 4th Degree Knight of St. Peter Claver
- 4th Degree Knight of Columbus