Vatican Announces Latest Papal Consistories in August for the New Cardinals to Receive Red Birettas and Approval of Canonization of 2 New Saints
The Vatican has announced 3 papal consistories for August, 2022.
What is a Consistory?
A papal consistory is a gathering of Cardinals. Consistories are of three kinds: secret or ordinary, public or extraordinary and semi-public.
On Saturday, August 27, 2022, Pope Francis will bestow a red biretta on the heads, assign the Title or Diaconia and place a ring on 18 bishops and two priests who will become cardinals. In this public consistory the pope performs the ceremony of delivering the red hat to the newly created cardinals.
After this ceremony there will be 132 cardinals in the College of Cardinals, Pope Francis will have chosen 83 which amounts to 62% of the cardinal electors.
The following consistory, happens when consistorial advocates plead here the causes of beatification and canonization. These pleadings are of two kinds. In the first permission is asked that the ordinary process of beatification or canonization may be introduced, or continued, or brought to completion. The second has reference only to causes of canonization.
On, Saturday, the 27th of August 2022, at 4 pm, in St. Peter's Basilica, the Holy Father Francis will hold:
- the Ordinary Public Consistory for the creation of new Cardinals, for the imposition of the hat, the delivery of the ring ;
- the Ordinary Public Consistory for the Canonization of the Blessed:
- Giovanni Battista Scalabrini, bishop of Piacenza, founder of the Congregation of the Missionaries of San Carlo and of the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of San Carlo Borromeo;
- Artemide Zatti, professed layman of the Salesian Society of St. John Bosco (Salesians).
A 3rd consistory is scheduled for August 29-30, called an extraordinary consistory. This will allow the Cardinals to discuss the new Apostolic Constitution Praedicate evangelium.
* * *
On Tuesday 30 August, at 5.30 pm, in St. Peter's Basilica, the Holy Father will preside over the Eucharistic Celebration with the new Cardinals and the College of Cardinals.
They can concelebrate with the Holy Father:
- the newly created Cardinals, at 4.45 pm, in the Gregorian Chapel;
By mandate of the Holy Father
On Saturday 27 August 2022, from 6 to 8 pm, courtesy visits to the new Eminent Cardinals will take place in the places indicated below.
Paul VI Hall
1. Card. Jean-Marc AVELINE
2. Card. Peter Ebere OKPALEKE
3. Card. Leonardo Ulrich STEINER, O.F.M.
4. Card. Filipe Neri António Sebastião DO ROSÁRIO FERRÃO
5. Card. Robert Walter McELROY
1. Card. Virgilio DO CARMO DA SILVA, S.D.B.
2. Card. Oscar CANTONI
3. Card. Anthony POOLA
4. Card. Paulo Cezar COSTA
5. Card. Richard Kuuia BAAWOBR, M. Afr.
6. Card. William Seng Chye GOH
7. Card. Adalberto MARTÍNEZ FLORES
8. Card. Giorgio MARENGO, I.M.C.
9. Card. Jorge Enrique JIMÉNEZ CARVAJAL, C.I.M.
10. Card. Arrigo MIGLIO
Aula della Benedizione
1. Card. Arthur ROCHE
2. Card. Lazzaro YOU HEUNG-SIK
3. Card. Fernando VÉRGEZ ALZAGA, L.C.
4. Card. Gianfranco GHIRLANDA, S.I.
5. Card. Fortunato FREZZA