CNA report - Amidst the widespread damage caused by flooding in southern Mexico, Archbishop Jose Luis Chavez Botello of Antequera-Oaxaca called on those affected to remain hopeful and urged all of Mexico to express solidarity with them.
The archbishop stressed the importance of not giving in to despair, uncertainty and powerlessness, and emphasized that those in need should not be taken advantage of by others. “Rather, let us open our hearts to the solidarity that the greatness of the human heart always manifests in these situations,” he added.
Archbishop Chavez Botello noted that while the immediate emergency needs can be met by the families, there are some needs that only the government can provide. The prelate noted that it is the government’s “grave duty to carry out their tasks and not improvise or leave communities and families to bear the entire weight of the consequences of natural disasters on their shoulders.”
He stressed that officials need to develop better contingency plans in order to minimize the loss of human life, the spread of disease and property damage that results from such disasters.
The Church “has been and always will be willing to provide support in keeping with subsidiarity and her mission in these emergencies,” the archbishop said. He called on priests and the faithful to express their concrete solidarity with those affected by floods and mudslides. http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/archbishop-urges-mexicans-to-remain-hopeful-amidst-floods/
- Pope Francis tells Augustinians "Prayer and penance do not cease to be the cornerstones on which Christian witness is based..." Full Text
- Litany to the Holy Name of Mary and Powerful Prayers to Share honoring Mary with Indulgences
- Canadian Bishops Issue Catholic Voting Guide saying "The principles of respect for life from conception to natural death and of the dignity of the human person should influence how Christians..."
- Wow 1 Million at Mass with Pope Francis who says “As believers, we must stretch out our hands, as Jesus does with us”. Full Text Homily + Video
- #BreakingNews Massive Pro-Life March in Northern Ireland with 20,000 from all Religions defending Unborn Babies - Video
- Pope Francis says "...God's presence in the midst of his poor..." at "City of Friendship" built on Dumpsters with housing for 25,000 people Founded by his former Student
- #BreakingNews Crowds of Children and Students form Human Chain in Hong Kong in ongoing Protests - Watch Video
- Crowd of Nuns Full of Joy to meet Pope Francis who says with these little acts of love that “God saves the world” in Madagascar
- Quote to SHARE by St. Augustine “If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.”
- BE KIND and DONATE Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- 1st Rosary Bowl in the Nation's Capital with 4 Bishops, many Priests, Religious Sisters and hundreds of Laity including Youth -
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text