A Hong Kong Church commission says it will hold a rally to pray for religious freedom in mainland China even though its request to use a public playground has been turned down.
The Justice and Peace Commission (JPC) had applied to the Leisure and Cultural Service Department (LCSD) to use the Lockhart Road Playground as the starting point for its outdoor Way of the Cross, said JPC project officer Or Yan-yan.
The event, to be held on Oct. 16, a public holiday, is to pray for religious freedom in China and the release of detained clergy there.
The JPC received confirmation from the LCSD on Sept. 21 that the playground would be available and the officer even reminded them to buy insurance for the activity.
However, on Sept. 27, the LCSD said the request was rejected as the activity was “politically sensitive,” said Or.
After a local newspaper queried LCSD about the matter, Or said she received another call from the department saying that groups intending to use the playground for recreation are given priority.
“We strongly protest such an act of self-censorship,” Or said. The JPC has written to the LCSD for a formal explanation but has received no reply so far, she added.
Or said the commission will stick to its plan for the rally as the police have approved the rally route and will cordon off several streets.
The Way of the Cross will start at the playground and seven of its stations will be at public places such as the High Court, the Court of Final Appeal and government headquarters.
Cardinal Joseph Zen Ze-kiun, retired bishop of Hong Kong, is scheduled to speak at a prayer meeting after the Way of the Cross ends at a Catholic school.
The government department’s rejection of the commission’s request is apparently not an isolated case, said Or.
In June, another government department confiscated two statues dedicated to victims of the 1989 Tiananmen Incident, which were erected outside a shopping mall.
- Pope Francis tells Augustinians "Prayer and penance do not cease to be the cornerstones on which Christian witness is based..." Full Text
- Litany to the Holy Name of Mary and Powerful Prayers to Share honoring Mary with Indulgences
- Canadian Bishops Issue Catholic Voting Guide saying "The principles of respect for life from conception to natural death and of the dignity of the human person should influence how Christians..."
- Wow 1 Million at Mass with Pope Francis who says “As believers, we must stretch out our hands, as Jesus does with us”. Full Text Homily + Video
- #BreakingNews Massive Pro-Life March in Northern Ireland with 20,000 from all Religions defending Unborn Babies - Video
- Pope Francis says "...God's presence in the midst of his poor..." at "City of Friendship" built on Dumpsters with housing for 25,000 people Founded by his former Student
- #BreakingNews Crowds of Children and Students form Human Chain in Hong Kong in ongoing Protests - Watch Video
- Crowd of Nuns Full of Joy to meet Pope Francis who says with these little acts of love that “God saves the world” in Madagascar
- Quote to SHARE by St. Augustine “If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.”
- BE KIND and DONATE Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- 1st Rosary Bowl in the Nation's Capital with 4 Bishops, many Priests, Religious Sisters and hundreds of Laity including Youth -
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text