- Pope Francis tells Augustinians "Prayer and penance do not cease to be the cornerstones on which Christian witness is based..." Full Text
- Litany to the Holy Name of Mary and Powerful Prayers to Share honoring Mary with Indulgences
- Canadian Bishops Issue Catholic Voting Guide saying "The principles of respect for life from conception to natural death and of the dignity of the human person should influence how Christians..."
- Wow 1 Million at Mass with Pope Francis who says “As believers, we must stretch out our hands, as Jesus does with us”. Full Text Homily + Video
- #BreakingNews Massive Pro-Life March in Northern Ireland with 20,000 from all Religions defending Unborn Babies - Video
- Pope Francis says "...God's presence in the midst of his poor..." at "City of Friendship" built on Dumpsters with housing for 25,000 people Founded by his former Student
- #BreakingNews Crowds of Children and Students form Human Chain in Hong Kong in ongoing Protests - Watch Video
- Crowd of Nuns Full of Joy to meet Pope Francis who says with these little acts of love that “God saves the world” in Madagascar
- Quote to SHARE by St. Augustine “If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.”
- BE KIND and DONATE Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- 1st Rosary Bowl in the Nation's Capital with 4 Bishops, many Priests, Religious Sisters and hundreds of Laity including Youth -
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
AUSTRALIA: BABY BORN IN DETENTION BAPTISED
Cath News report: Risen, a baby born in detention to refugee parents, was baptised this month in Sydney's St Canice's parish by the Director of Jesuit Refugee Service.
"Risen has been invited to be a part of this community of faith to which he now belongs," said Fr Sacha Bermudez-Goldman SJ. The baby's name marks the fact that he was born just after Easter Sunday this year, reports Province Express.
Risen's Sri Lankan parents were granted permanent residency after a year spent in detention on both Christmas Island and in Villawood Immigration Residential Housing in Sydney, the report said.
And as guests crowded into the JRS offices to enjoy lunch and a baptism cake, Fr Bermudez-Goldman thanked them for being a part of the small family's journey in their new homeland. Risen's godparents, Matilda and Tarcisius Matthias, were grateful for the opportunity to play such an important role in the baby's life."I consider it as a gift from God. It's an honour," said Tarcisius, who volunteers with St Vincent de Paul and works with migrant and refugee groups. "You can help people with zero dollars. You just need to give your time."His wife compared their own journey from Sri Lanka 27 years ago to the perilous boat trip undertaken by Risen's parents last year."We came on a plane, Tarcisius' uncle fetched us at the airport," said Matilda. "But these people came on a boat. You have to really suffer to take that kind of risk."