Catholic News World
- #BreakingNews US Bishops Statement on Protests "..the violence of recent nights is self-destructive..Nothing is gained by violence.." Full Text
- At Pentecost Sunday Mass Pope Francis says "Come, Holy Spirit: you are harmony; make us builders of unity." Full Text Homily + Video
- Top Hymns to the Holy Spirit for Pentecost to SHARE - Wow Breathtaking Music!
- What is Pentecost? 10 Things to Know and SHARE - The Holy Spirit descends on Us at #Pentecost
- Donate Today! SCROLL down to Read all the New Stories - Newspaper format - Donations are Welcome!
Sunday, December 25, 2011
AFRICA : NIGERIA : SECT BOMBS CATHOLIC CHURCH 10 KILLED
PM NEWS REPORT: Update – A bomb exploded outside of a Catholic church on the outskirts of the Nigerian capital Abuja during Christmas prayers Sunday and emergency services said they did not have enough ambulances available to evacuate all the dead and the wounded.
“We are presently there, evacuating the dead and the injured, but unfortunately we don’t have enough ambulances. Most of our ambulances have gone to operate on the major highways of the country,” he added.
The blast in St Theresa’s Church in Madala, an Abuja suburb blew out windows of at least one house nearby, a witness said.
Madala falls into the capital’s neighbouring Niger State, where there had been several incidents of bombings in recent months.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the blast. The Boko Haram sect, fighting for the Islamisation of Nigeria had claimed a series of bombings in recent months, including the bombing of the UN headquarters in Abuja.
Police and army authorities have waged a recent campaign against the group in their bases in Yobe and Borno states. Close to 61 people have been killed, including three soldiers and seven policemen.
To stem such bombings, the authorities in Nigeria’s Plateau State, yesterday banned the use of motor-cycles during the Yuletide.