Agencia Fides REPORT – The President has been treated in the hospital nearest to his office, but his injuries are not serious”, Don Edmondo Dembele, Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of Mali, where yesterday a group of demonstrators attacked the President of the transition Dioncounda Traoré, informed Fides.
Don Dembele described the sequence of events to Fides Agency: “Yesterday morning May 21, in Bamako there were demonstrations, organized by several groups in reaction to the agreement reached with CEDEAO on May 20 according to which the rebel council was called to hand over power to a Head of State and a “transitional” government which will last for a year. (See Fides 21/5/2012). Some demonstrators were received by the Prime Minister, Cheick Modibo Diarra, who appealed for calm and patience, inviting the people to allow the transition government rule”.
“One part the demonstrators”, continued Don Dembele, “went toward the President’s residence on the hill of Koulouba. The President received the demonstrators and in the course of the meeting he was attacked. The President’s bodyguard reacted, it seems by shooting. We do not yet have precise information but it appears that among the attackers there are injured and perhaps one or two dead”.
The Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of Mali affirms that “the demonstrators are supporters of the military of the rising and they did not accept the agreement with the CEDEAO. They are contrary, in particular, to the fact that Traoré is the President of the transition. Already for 3 or 4 days in Bamako there was a succession of demonstrations against prolonging Traoré’s mandate (who was interim President of the 40 days which expires today, 22 May)”
The political and institutional crisis in Bamako overlaps the one in the North of Mali, controlled by several troops (among which are an independent movement of some Islamic groups) “So long as there is no stable government recognized by the International community one cannot speak of control of the crisis in the North. What happened yesterday in Bamako is delaying the negotiations to resolve the question of the North” concludes Don Dembele.( L.M.) (Fides Agency 22/5/2012)
- Pope Francis tells Augustinians "Prayer and penance do not cease to be the cornerstones on which Christian witness is based..." Full Text
- Litany to the Holy Name of Mary and Powerful Prayers to Share honoring Mary with Indulgences
- Canadian Bishops Issue Catholic Voting Guide saying "The principles of respect for life from conception to natural death and of the dignity of the human person should influence how Christians..."
- Wow 1 Million at Mass with Pope Francis who says “As believers, we must stretch out our hands, as Jesus does with us”. Full Text Homily + Video
- #BreakingNews Massive Pro-Life March in Northern Ireland with 20,000 from all Religions defending Unborn Babies - Video
- Pope Francis says "...God's presence in the midst of his poor..." at "City of Friendship" built on Dumpsters with housing for 25,000 people Founded by his former Student
- #BreakingNews Crowds of Children and Students form Human Chain in Hong Kong in ongoing Protests - Watch Video
- Crowd of Nuns Full of Joy to meet Pope Francis who says with these little acts of love that “God saves the world” in Madagascar
- Quote to SHARE by St. Augustine “If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.”
- BE KIND and DONATE Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- 1st Rosary Bowl in the Nation's Capital with 4 Bishops, many Priests, Religious Sisters and hundreds of Laity including Youth -
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text