Agenzia Fides REPORT - Mother's Day, which the population of the Dominican Republic celebrates on the last Sunday in May is an opportunity to relieve the longstanding problem of domestic violence: So says the local Catholic Church, expressing serious concern about the amount of cases of domestic violence, sometimes murder. Many disputes between family members, often children against their parents, result in violent acts, which are spreading and are more frequent in the country.
As reported to Fides, the alarm on the phenomenon was raised by the Catholic weekly "Camino," which says: "The situation is dangerous, because it indicates that we are moving towards a moral abyss and we are on the threshold of a social crisis." Even the Bishops of the country, in the message to the country published in January (see Fides 19/01/2012) stated: "The great modern crisis is human and moral. We are concerned because now this crisis is rooted in the national soul. Herein lies the cause of the widespread violence that surrounds us, from the growing violence against women and against the family."
Faced with such a picture of domestic violence, the Church appeals to the faithful with the slogan "Family and fraternity will change society," which is the theme proposed by the Catholic Church for the pastoral plan for the current year. "The means of communication allow us to be witnesses of beautiful, tender and sympathetic facts, that occur anywhere on the planet. But lead into the house even harrowing and perverse crimes," reads the text that illustrates the theme of the pastoral year. For this reason the Church invites all people of good will to implement actions to return to the respect for life, the protection of human dignity, the values of love and mutual service, lived in the family.
In the last decade, the Dominican Republic criminality has nearly doubled, according to analysts, is attributed to easy access to guns, violence linked to drug trafficking and social inequality. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/5/2012)
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- Breaking : Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin Signs 4 Enacted Pro-Life Bills - Protecting Babies with Heartbeats
- Be Kind - Donate Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- Wow Knights of Columbus hold 137th Annual Convention - Reports $185.7 Million Donated to Charities
- US Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Conference in Canada - Register for Goodness, Truth and Beauty ... and the Encounter With Evil
- Wow ESPN story on Basketball Star Shelly Pennefather who left $200K contract to be a Cloistered Nun
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text