(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis received the members of the Pontifical Commission for Latin America on Friday. Founded in 1958 to offer advice and assistance to the particular Churches in Latin America, the Commission operates under the Congregation for Bishops. Members have been in Plenary Assembly this week to discuss the theme: Educational Emergency and the Transmission of the Faith to Latin American Youth.
In remarks delivered to the members on Friday in the Clementine Hall of the Apostolic Palace in the Vatican, Pope Francis addressed the topic under their consideration through the key of the Gospel story of Jesus and the rich young man.
The Holy Father went on to say that a welcoming disposition is prior to any act of teaching. “Christ stopped, looked with affection, with love, on [the young man],” he said, adding, “The Lord puts himself in each person’s situation, even those who reject him.” Noting the many grave difficulties that young people in Latin America often face, such as school failure , unemployment , loneliness , bitterness in broken families, Pope Francis said, “We are asked not to abandon young people,” but to help foster in them a sense of their own dignity, and help them feel loved and included.
This welcoming disposition, however, does not exclude genuine dialogue with young people. “Jesus engaged in a frank and cordial dialogue with the young man,” said Pope Francis. “He listened to his concerns and clarified them in the light of Sacred Scripture.”
Finally, Christ invites the young man to follow Him. “Go, sell all that you have…and come follow me,” said Pope Francis, quoting the words of Our Lord to the rich youth. “These words,” he added, “have not lost their timeliness.” He called on the members of the Commission to help young people become friends of Christ.
“Dear brothers,” concluded Pope Francis, “young people are counting on us. Let us not disappoint them.”
Text from Vatican Radio website
- Queenship of Mary in Ottawa at Mass in Blessed Sacrament Parish with Archbishop Prendergast and Newly professed Sisters
- 1st Rosary Bowl in the Nation's Capital with 4 Bishops, many Priests, Religious Sisters and hundreds of Laity including Youth -
- Watch Archbishop holds Adoration in Notre Dame Cathedral and Catholic Priests pray with Laity outside during Satanic Mass - Video
- US Bishops' Chairmen Call for Change in Language and Rhetoric of All Americans - Full Text
- Head of Polish Bishops' Conference warning of LGBT "Respect for specified individuals cannot, however, lead to the acceptance of an ideology..."
- Breaking : Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin Signs 4 Enacted Pro-Life Bills - Protecting Babies with Heartbeats
- Be Kind - Donate Today! It's now Easier - just CLICK this Link - to help Catholic News World - Reaching over 200 Countries!
- Wow Knights of Columbus hold 137th Annual Convention - Reports $185.7 Million Donated to Charities
- US Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Conference in Canada - Register for Goodness, Truth and Beauty ... and the Encounter With Evil
- Wow ESPN story on Basketball Star Shelly Pennefather who left $200K contract to be a Cloistered Nun
- #BreakingNews US Bishops call for "responsible gun laws" after 250th Mass Shooting - Full Text