29 Jan 2018
Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit, St. Mary's Cathedral, Sydney
How are we to think about such matters? Christ's teaching in today's Gospel about rendering to Caesar what it Caesar's and to God what is God's (Mt 22:5-21) is an excellent starting point, but it raises questions about what properly belongs to each realm, what respecting each demands, and what to do when they overlap. Any hard and fast distinction between private and public does not seem to cut it; nor do appeals to general principles of public order and non-discrimination alone.
St. Mary's Cathedral, Sydney
- The Attorney-General, Hon. Mark Speakman SC MP
- The Treasurer, Hon. Dominic Perrottet MP
- The Leader of the Opposition, Hon. Luke Foley MP
- Representing the Shadow Attorney-General, Hon. Dr Hugh McDermott MP
- Parliamentary Secretary for Justice, Hon. David Clarke MLC
- The Solicitor-General, Michael Sexton SC
- Former Attorneys-General, Hon. Justice Terry Sheehan AO and Hon. Greg Smith SC
- And other current or past MPs.
- The Chief Justice of New South Wales, Hon. Justice Tom Bathurst AC, and other judges of the Supreme Court
- The President of the Court of Appeal, Hon. Justice Margaret Beazley AO
- The Chief Judge of the Land and Environment Court, Hon. Justice Brian Preston, and other judges and commissioners
- The Chief Judge of the District Court, Hon. Justice Derek Price AM, and other judges of that court
- The President of the Workers Compensation Commission, Hon. Judge Greg Keating and other judicial officers of that commission
- The Chief Magistrate of the Local Court, Hon. Judge Graeme Henson, and other magistrates
- Hon. Justice Michael Lee and other judges of the Federal Court of Australia
- Other current and retired judges and judicial officers.
- The representative of the President of the Bar Association, and members of the bar
- The President of the Law Society, Doug Humphreys OAM, and solicitors
- Emeritus Ambassador to the Holy See, John McCarthy QC
- The Dean of the School of Law in the University of Notre Dame, Prof. Michael Quinlan, and law teachers and students.
Text Source: Archdiocese of Sydney Australia