Hauntingly Beautiful - Just before the Fire - Last Hymn Sung in Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris - "Stabat Mater"
KTO Television captured the video (below) of this last hymn sung in the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris, France, just before it burned down. Here the choir sings the "Stabat Mater" about Our Lady standing at the foot of the Cross watching Jesus die. Music by Jean-Charles Gandrille. Full lyrics below in Latin with English translation:
1. Stabat Mater dolorosa iuxta crucem lacrimosa dum pendebat FiliusThe grieving Mother stood weeping beside the cross where her Son was hanging
2. Cuius animam gementem contristatam et dolentem pertransivit gladius
Through her weeping soul, compassionate and grieving, a sword passed.
3. O quam tristis et afflicta fuit illa benedicta Mater Unigeniti
O how sad and afflicted was that blessed Mother of the Only-begotten!
4. Quae moerebat et dolebat et tremebat cum videbat nati poenas incliti
Who mourned and grieved and trembled looking at the torment of her glorious Child
5. Quis est homo qui non fleret Matri Christi si videret in tanto supplicio?
Who is the person who would not weep seeing the Mother of Christ in such agony?
6. Quis non posset contristari Matrem Christi contemplari dolentum cum filio?
Who would not be able to feel compassion on beholding Christ’s Mother suffering with her Son?
7. Pro peccatis suae gentis vidit Iesum in tormentis et flagellis subditum
For the sins of his people she saw Jesus in torment and subjected to the scourge.
8. Vidit suum dulcem natum moriendo desolatum dum emisit spiritum
She saw her sweet offspring dying, forsaken, while He gave up his spirit
9. Eia Mater, fons amoris, me sentire vim doloris fac ut tecum lugeam
O Mother, fountain of love, make me feel the power of sorrow, that I may grieve with you
10. Fac ut ardeat cor meum in amando Christum Deum ut sibi complaceam
Grant that my heart may burn in the love of Christ my Lord, that I may greatly please Him
11. Sancta Mater, istud agas, crucifixi fige plagas cordi meo valide
Holy Mother, grant that the wounds of the Crucified drive deep into my heart.
12. Tui nati vulnerati tam dignati pro me pati poenas mecum divide
That of your wounded Son, who so deigned to suffer for me, I may share the pain
13. Fac me vere tecum flere crucifixo condolere donec ego vixero
Let me sincerely weep with you, bemoan the Crucified, for as long as I live
14. Iuxta crucem tecum stare et me tibi sociare in planctu desidero
To stand beside the cross with you, and gladly share the weeping, this I desire
15. Virgo virginum praeclara mihi iam non sis amara fac me tecum plangere
Chosen Virgin of virgins, be not bitter with me, let me weep with thee
16. Fac ut portem Christi mortem passionis fac consortem et plagas recolere
Grant that I may bear the death of Christ, share his Passion, and commemorate His wounds
17. Fac me plagis vulnerari fac me cruce inebriari et cruore filii
Let me be wounded with his wounds, let me be inebriated by the cross and your Son’s blood
18. Flammis ne urar succensus, per te, Virgo, sim defensus in die iudicii
Lest I burn, set afire by flames, Virgin, may I be defended by you, on the day of judgement
19. Christe cum sit hinc exire da per matrem me venire ad palmam vicoriae
Christ, when it is time to pass away, grant that through your Mother I may come to the palm of victory
20. Quando corpus morietur fac ut animae donetur paradisi gloria. Amen
When my body dies, grant that to my soul is given the glory of paradise. Amen
DONATE Now to Catholic News World, a Mission, which brings the Gospel to over 200 Countries World Wide! Just Click the LINK below! Every little bit helps - as a Donor you and your Family will be added to our Mass Prayers - You can add your prayer intention on the Donation site "Donor Wall":